Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Best Valentine's Day EVER!

It started off as any normal day would, with the exception of a brief "Happy Valentine's Day" to Chanel before getting up for the day. Well, and except for the 3:00 coughing fit Thing 1 had, requiring a dosing of meds, as he gets over the bronchitis he and his brother have. All well and good, I walk out the door on time and head to my car.

The car didn't start.

No problem, it needs a new battery. It's had this issue before and once I jump it I'll be on my way. It's just a matter of backing up the van onto the lawn next to the driveway and hooking up, right? Negative, positive, negative positive, give it a minute...turn the key and...nothing. Give it another minute. Nothing. Just a few more. Nothing.

OK, off to Walmart to pick up a new battery with the van. Find the one I need, $120 later, I'm calling a coworker to let her know I won't be attending the 8am meeting while driving home.

Changing out a car battery is a fun challenge for the uninitiated. The bolts are usually rusted, there's the slight danger of electrocution, and you never have quite the right tools for the job. I managed through with what I had and may have given my wrist a slight strain on the way. With the battery installed, I go to fire it up. Nothing.


Back in the house, I'm putting my tools away as I hear Thing 1 ramble on about something. Being the awesome father I am, I didn't think much of it or listen to exactly what he was saying, figuring he's down the hall in one of the kids' rooms playing with their mom. I head that way to let Chanel know the problem wasn't the battery.

Wait a sec. Thing 2's room is closed. Oh, yeah, it's about nap time for him; Chanel's rocking him to sleep. Thing 1 is still rambling on. Where is he? His voice is coming from the bathroom. What's he saying? "I pooped everywhere."


Apparently, the little guy, while urinating, decides that he needs to poop as well, right where he stood. When I found him, he was standing next to the sink, one poop-covered foot lifted in the air, poop-filled pants and underwear around his other ankle, poop smushed into one bath rug, another turd sitting on the floor, and more smeared across the other rug. While I'm cleaning him up, he's giving me the run-down of what happened in a voice that sounded like he was disappointed in himself, making it impossible to be mad at him. "I was peeing and suddenly I had to poop. I pooped everywhere. There's poop on that rug, and there's poop on the floor, and there's poop on my foot, and my leg, and on the other rug." Of course, when finished explaining, he would repeat it again from the beginning, as little kids do.

As I'm wiping him up, I get a text from Chanel in the next room: "He's too loud!" Oh, is his talking keeping Thing 2 awake? Would you like to switch? I told her what I was dealing with and surprisingly she didn't want to.

From there the day was somewhat regular: Chanel took the kids to a playgroup while I read a class assignment. They came home, we all had lunch and enjoyed a family nap. The afternoon was full of errands to the bank, Kroger, Lowes, and Walmart. We came home for dinner, wrestle-Daddy time, bath, and bed. Then I was off for a little community service of sorts at the Knights of Columbus hall to work Bingo. True, the afternoon was also peppered with instances where I called into the garage to see how the car was (they hadn't gotten to it yet), but in the quiet moments after I came home and snuggled into bed next to Chanel, I was able to reflect on the fact that my Valentine's Day was spent with my family, having fun and making memories. Despite the rough beginning, it truly was my best Valentine's Day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment